Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Would I have heard by now?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2009 :  13:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Someone mentioned that cases go to RTLU once the OR has finished with it and you are about to be discharged from BK. My case has gone to RTLU, but I am paying an IPA, so this is probably the reason. However, I declared bankruptcy in early March 2009 and I am 4 months into it. If it has gone to RTLU, does this mean I might have an early discharge and the OR has finished looking into my BK? The only stumbling block to prevent ED is that many of my debts were due to gambling, although I have not heard anything from the OR about receiving a BRU as yet. Would I have heard by now?

Thanks

xmas baby

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2009 :  15:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The case going to the RTLU only means that the OR has finished with it and not that you will get an ED although there is a chance if your case has been transferred so quickly.

I believe that it is the OR that deals with a BRU (someone may correct me) so if they have finished with your case then it doesn't look like you will be getting a BRU.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2009 :  16:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My case was passed to the RTLU but I never had ED. Gettingoutofdebt is right that the OR deals with BRU's and a case can be passed back to OR although I don't think this happens very often so fingers crossed you're in the clear!

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

23 IPA payments made, 13 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2009 :  11:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks both,

I have had very little contact with my OR throughout my bankruptcy. In fact, I tend to phone her more than she phones me and I'm sure I can hear her sigh everytime she realises its me.lol.

I am just praying I don't get a BRU now. I still wouldn't be surprised if I did and I do probably deserve one, but I would be so happy if I didn't get one, especially as I am going to intensive counselling every week to deal with the problem. To be honest though, I don't miss gambling at all. I think I must have had a few months of going off the rails unfortunately. Back of track now though thank god.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2009 :  22:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
xmasbaby: my BR date was 03/03/09, still no word on the RTLU, how did you find out?

Weeks of BR

****5****10****15****20****25*
***30****35****40****45****50**
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2009 :  10:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sparkle,

They sent me a letter saying my case had now been referred to RTLU Anglia. The details are also listed on my section on the insolvency register.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2009 :  10:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was never told that my details had been transferred. The address changed on the register, and when I phoned Croydon recently I was told my case had been transferred again!

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

24 IPA payments made, 12 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2009 :  11:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Skippy,

To be perfectly honest I don't really have a clue what's going on. As far as I'm aware the RTLU are now dealing with my case. I haven't had any contact with my OR for over a month. When I did phone her the last time, she said I now needed to deal with RTLU Anglia who now deal with my case. I'm not even sure my OR is the one I originally dealt with after my bankruptcy. I have been in touch with Moonbeever about an increase in my pay and provided them with a new I&E. However they replied saying they had contacted my OR and a IPA has been agreed which is actually 'lower' than the one agreed 'before' my pay increase. Very strange. Either the OR has reviewed my I&E and decided they were charging too much initially or they have made a mistake. Either way, I am not contacting them to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

8 months left until discharge!

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

bennieblueeyes

211 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  12:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone tell me what RTLU is. I am sure it is something simple so forgive my ignorance please.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  13:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RTLU is Regional Trustee Liquidation Unit.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  17:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, RTLU deals specifically with the realisation of assets, during this process the OR may continue with his/her investigations. If a BRO/BRU is to be sought it should be submitted within 9 months of the bankruptcy order
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2009 :  10:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice debtinfo. I thought the OR had 12 months in which to enforce a BRO. If its 9 months, all the better, only 5 months left to go for me then. Although a lot can happen in that time.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2009 :  12:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but could someone clear this up for me aswell please? I was also under the impression the OR could apply for a BRO up to discharge date, but would be dlighted if it is actually only up to 9 months in!!

I think I've seen someone say they got a letter telling them of their BRU 2 months prior to discharge, but this could mean the OR had applied 3 months prior (ie 9 months in) and they'd only just had the letter through?

How does this work exactly? Up to what stage can a BRU/BRO be applied for and what would be the first one would hear about it if it were to happen?

Thank you so much!

C. x
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2009 :  13:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BRU/O leaflet from the Insolvency site is at http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/bro.pdf

It doesn't seem to give an exact answer other than normally you would hear within 9 months of BR whether a BRU was going to happen but in some circumstances it can be longer and the OR only needs to inform you at least 6 weeks before the court date.

I suppose this could mean that you could receive the letter up to 6 weeks before discharge.
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2009 :  17:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply gettingoutofdebt.

I've leaflet too, but just wondered how it actually works in practice and if a letter is usually the first you hear of it, or if you're likely to have f2f interviews first so you know it's on the cards.

You hear so many thinds being bandied around, like if you haven't heard 10 weeks prior to discharge it's not going to happen, or this one above mentioning 9 months, and I wonder where these things come from? Maybe some people know things we don't, or maybe it all depends on where you are in the country, which is so often the case in BR unfortunately!

Thanks so much and if anyone can add to this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,

C. x
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2009 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sorry if my earlier post was ambiguous.
1)it is standard practice for a second interview to take place if seeking a BRO/BRU although not compulsory.
2)When i say 9 months this is the latest that the process would normally start so that it has time to go throught the court system before the year is up.
3)The bit about it taking longer in certain circumstances is about exceptional circumstances where the OR could not reasonably have submitted the report on time. For instance, if 1 week before discharge someone wrote to the OR stating that the Bankrupt had transgressed in some way that was not alraedy known then the OR could ask the court for more time to investigate and submit a report.

Edited by - debtinfo on 08 July 2009 21:59:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page